Kennedy Elementary School is a treasured institution within the Butte Community, as it is the last elementary school left on the “hill”. The community support for this school is overwhelming and its student success is celebrated not only by the 300 families it serves, but also by the “old-timers” the few remaining icons left from a proud mining generation. Kennedy Elementary was built in 1958 and was originally named “The Big Butte School”. In 1963 the school name was changed to the JF Kennedy Elementary School. At the dedication ceremony, Senator Mike Mansfield presented to Principal “Oakie” O’Connor, the flag that flew at half mast over the White house during the funeral of President Kennedy.
Principal: Ron Ricketts Grade Level: k-6 Enrollment Count: 292 School Hours:
K-2nd: 8:30 - 2:00
3-6: 8:30 - 3:00
Attraction/Focus: A highly developed volunteer force of over 200 parents, and members of the community who work together to bring first class education to the children of Kennedy school.
Average Class Size:
Teaching Staff: Approximately 71% of faculty members have advanced degrees.
Computer/Technology: 100% of all classrooms are networked and have access to high speed internet. 100% of teachers have email and voice messaging accounts. Smartboard in each classroom.